Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Is Betchadupa dead?

Certainly seems that way. Last fall my favorite band went on hiatus while drummer Matt Eccles went back home to New Zealand (I have heard to be part of Tim Finn's touring band, but I'm not sure of the veracity of this rumor). Since then there have been scarce updates on the band's myspace page, and this is how they describe themselves:

Hi there, we are on holiday.... We are a band from Auckland, New Zealand and are currently living in London, England. We have been together since 1999 and have released 2.e.p's and 2 Albums. We have a 7" available in the U.K. through izumi records and are currently on holiday in search for some greater meaning to this strange existence.
Frontman Liam Finn updates his myspace fairly often and just the other day, this little note appeared:
I am currently in the studio making a record. it's going well thanks... almost there, just a few noises to add, then some mixing and whalla!
If it was a new Betchadupa record he was working on, wouldn't he have posted that on the band's myspace?

And let's not forget this cryptic message from the official site (posted October 22, 2006):
there are a few new projects on the horizon which we're all terribly excited about. hopefully we get it together to tell you all about them as soon as they come about! all very mysterious.....
betchadupa love you and we will be back!
I have no idea what that means. So will they be back? They do have that snazzy new logo sketched out (though as I recall that first appeared last year before Eccles left for NZ), and there are those two unreleased tracks posted on their myspace ("The Money" and "The Point" - again, both of which appeared before Matt's departure). I suppose it could go either way at this point, and to those of you who suggest that I send a message to the band and just ASK whether or not they're breaking up, let's just say that I am far too chicken shit to do something like that. Also, I'm not sure if they know the answer to that question yet. However, should someone from the band see this post, please feel free to confirm/deny/update/inform. Not that I suppose it matters a whole lot - Liam Finn basically is Betchadupa (no offense, guys, really I love you all), there would be no band without his songs, and a Liam Finn solo album will frankly be just as acceptable to me as a band effort. Mostly I'm just looking for some new music from him. (I haven't spent nearly enough money lately on importing albums from acts without a U.S. record label. I must be slacking off.)

Hope no one takes this as dirty rumor-mongering or anything. Just asking a question in a public forum without, um, even attempting to get any information from the source. Crap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey annie!

It's danyelle here from the old betchadupa fan forum which I have now neglected. For a while there I kept it just enough updated to keep out all the spam but now it's flooded and I can't fix it all.

:( I wonder too what's going on in the dupa world

the a is for annie said...

Hey Danyelle -

I haven't been the forum in forever. With nothing going on with the band, there wasn't much to talk about.

How did you find this blog post so quickly?