Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Amish Friendship Bread: Day 8

Remember the caveat about letting out any air that gets into the bag? The way I understood it, I was supposed to let out any air that got in the bag due to me opening the bag, which I only did the one time on Day 6 when I added all those ingredients. Turns out, as the yeast eats the flour-sugar-milk-y goodness I so lovingly added, it farts. And though those farts smell deliciously like beer, farts are made of air. And ziploc bags are air-tight.

Now, in the instructions when it so simply and concisely noted,

If air gets in the bag let it out
did they mean: remove the air that you let in there? Or do they mean: let any and all air out, including the air that the yeast farts? If I open the bag and let the air out, will it somehow affect whatever yeasty processes are going on in there? If I leave the bag sealed and let the air build up, will the bag eventually pop? And even if it doesn't pop, is the air somehow bad for the yeast?

Remember when I said that Amish Friendship Bread was kind of like a chain letter but yummy? Yeah, turns out this whole air conundrum feels a lot like "send this to 8 of your friends in the next 8 minutes or you'll die in 8 days." Only in this case, there's going to be exploded batter all over my kitchen. Or will there? Maybe that's what the chain batter wants me to think.

Damn you, Amish! Damn you for the psychological torment you have unleashed!

Missed something?
Day 3 | Day 5 | Day 6

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog while doing a Google search for 'Amish Friendship Bread'. I am on day seven. The only reason I am doing it is because I had the pleasure of tasting the bread and I had to have more. I would suggest giving your friends the bread and keep the starter for yourself (if they want to make it themselves, you can give them some starter). You can keep the starter in the fridge, feed it according to your needs and keep it forever.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/baking_joy/85474/1

However, if you get fed up, there are many sites out there that have the starter recipe.

Good luck.

PS - Don't sweat the air in the bag thing. The starter is very forgiving.

Anonymous said...

Good to see ur consistency to ur Amish Friendship Bread...after reading over this Amish Bread...I had a taste of it and it was not a bad experience for me...u can have a look at my blog where u will have some really cool stuffs on friendship...best wishes :)