Friday, February 2, 2007

Amish Friendship Bread: Day 3

The other day (two days ago, in fact) a friend offered me a yeast starter for Amish Friendship Bread. Think of it as a yummy chain letter. In order to let the yeast do it's yeasty thing, it's a ten day process. Supposedly the Amish are the only ones who know the recipe to start it (damn those Amish and their dirty Amish secrets!). Just before you bake it (on the 10th day), you separate 4 cups of batter into four separate ziploc bags and gift them on your friends.

Don't feel bad that you missed Day 1 and Day 2's progress - like I said, it's a 10 day journey, and it looked on Days 1 and 2 much like it does now. Instructions for the first three days:

Day 1: Do nothing.
Day 2: Mush the bag.
Day 3: Mush the bag.
Days 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9 are identical to Days 2 and 3. Par-tay.

I can remember my mom doing this a couple times when I was a kid, but I honestly don't remember how the bread tastes or what it looks like. I also remember her eventually refusing the batter from friends because it can go around several times within one's circle of friends. Anyway, I promise to keep you updated on the thrilling excitement of watching yeast rise (at least I assume that's what's going to happen - it's going to get bigger, right?). Seven more days to go!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is really sweet of you to follow it all so religiously!!Do you believe in it by the way??

the a is for annie said...

Believe in what? That the Amish are the only ones who know the starter recipe? No, that I don't believe. I've heard rumors the whole thing was started by the Girl Scouts as a social experiment, which just smacks of urban legend but maybe that's why I love that answer.

Anonymous said...

Good post but do u really believe that the Amish are the only ones to start off with the recipe??