Monday, February 26, 2007

Absurdist Moments in the Historie of Television

For your viewing pleasure, Patti Smith (yes, the Patti Smith) singing "You Light Up My Life" on some kids' show c. 1980 (?). The producers of the show, perhaps sensing the absurdity of such a performance at the time and the ironic glee with which hip indie kids would watch it decades later, even got the Academy Award-winning composer of the song to back her up on the piano just to add to the sheer awesomeness:



This is so completely awesome I'm having trouble finding the words. First the frighteningly-square host talks to her briefly, then they take some questions from an audience of kids who are way too excited about Patti Smith. I mean, had they heard much or any Patti Smith ever? Lord knows I grew up listening to Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, and Tom Jones, but my best friend grew up on Joan Baez and Bob Dylan. My husband tells a story about being a kid and singing along with Cat Stevens' "Hard-Headed Woman." (As the story goes, his mother asked him if he knew what a hard-headed woman was, and he responded, "You are!") Plus, his dad's got one of the best record collections I've had the pleasure of browsing. Moral of the story: not all parents were as unhip as mine (not that there's anything wrong with Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, or Tom Jones).

More I think this illustrates that you can't be all hip all the time, and that's fine. So if Patti freaking Smith can belt out "You Light Up My Life," then I can clip coupons and still maintain my indie cred. In fact, I think it makes me even indie cred-ier.

No comments: