Friday, February 23, 2007

I can trace everything worth mentioning back to R.E.M.

I was obsessed with R.E.M. in high school, and in an attempt to illustrate the massive effect/affect (I have no idea which) they've had on my life, consider this the first in a however-many-I-want series on the completely ridonculous influence a band I hardly ever listen to anymore has had on my life.

We'll start with the hair I never had: I once saw a picture of Peter Buck with parts of his hair dyed purple from henna, and I immediately wanted that (the look *and* the man - I was head over heels for him). Trouble was, I was a cashier at a grocery store in a small Indiana town, and they frowned on outrageous hair styles. Next I moved to San Francisco - land o' free expression, right? Nope, not at the crappy office job I had, or at least I thought at the time. I bet I could have gotten away with it. My boss was an aging hippie who liked to hire, well, a strange mix of people. We really were an odd bunch. I'll talk about them some other time.

Anyway, then several years later back to the Midwest where I had just about everybody fooled into thinking I was a well-mannered, conservative administrative assistant. It wasn't until they wandered into my cube that they got a taste of my out-of-control awesome taste in music. (Which reminds me - I was listening to some awesome new-to-me stuff on The Red Sun Band's myspace page this morning. Go now! Read this pointless crap later.) I did however chop it all off at one point and for a while was sporting a totally hot, perfectly mussed short haircut. Unfortunately that went away after I went for a trim and the stylist clearly forgot that I was, what, like 22-23 years old at the time? She kept giving me this middle-aged church lady cut. And yet I continued to go back to her for over a year. WTF was I thinking?

It's been almost 10 years, people. I still want purple streaks in my hair. Also, I've been thinking I really want a nose or brow piercing. Unfortunately it's a moot point because I am limited by lack of funds. Oh well, a girl can dream...

By the way, I have no idea where I saw that picture of Peter Buck, but if anyone out there has any ideas or has the picture, I would LOVE to see it. Thanks!

No comments: