Monday, February 5, 2007

Amish Friendship Bread: Day 6

In Which I Give Thanks to Yeast

Finally! We do something besides mush the bag. Today, we add stuff to the bag. Then we mush it.

After a healthy breakfast of leftover stir-fry and pan-fried noodles, I set to work. First, let me just say that upon opening the bag, I was greeted by the most heavenly scent of beery goodness, owed exclusively to the yeast. So thank you, yeast.

I added my three ingredients, one cup each of flour, sugar, and milk. Yes, milk. Once again, I think we owe a hearty thanks to the yeast, because y'all, that is the only thing I can think of that's preventing the milk from spoiling and stinking up my house while the bag sits on the counter. (Refrigerators are a no-no - remember, it's Amish Friendship Bread.) You science-types can explain the process to me later.

Ingredients added, I resealed the bag and set to mush. However, my instructions specifically warn me:

If air gets in the bag let it out
(Apparently the Amish don't believe in punctuation either.)

This turned out to be a pesky little problem. Smoothing air out of a bag full of batter? Without the batter also escaping? It was a very delicate situation, touch and go there for a while, but I prevailed! As far as I can tell, my bag is air free.

Behold! Day 6!


Missed something?
Day 3 | Day 5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah yeast is a must for a bread product...good to see that u r still rocking with ur Amish friendship bread and can u plz post the picture of the same now...we would love to check out ur preparation :)

Anonymous said...

Good to see u successful with ur Amish friendship bread..and yeah yeast is a must for any bread product..why dont u post few pics of the bread..we would love to share it virtually if not in real time!