Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Arkansas's possessive legislation

It's not often grammar and punctuation make it into the news, so as a grammar geek, I feel compelled to blog when it does.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you ... the Arkansas legislature! That's right, kids - it seems back in 1836 when Arkansas was granted statehood that no one could decide exactly what the possessive form of the state was. Ordinarily in the cases of words that end in "s," I recommend a lone apostrophe be added to the end of the word. However, the "s" at the end of Arkansas is silent. The legislature (170 years later) has decided that an apostrophe and an "s" be added to the end of the word, and I am inclined to agree.

And now that my opinion is out there, I'm sure Arkansas's legislature is breathing a little easier.

No comments: