Friday, April 6, 2007

With an extra $200 a month...

Well, an extra $200 after paying off more principal on the house and sticking some in savings. So let's call it an extra $400 a month. Now that my empty pocketbook and I have grown used to one another's company, I've been thinking a lot lately about what adventures we might have should said pocketbook no longer be empty. I'd like to think that this is all relatively modest:

  1. Repaint my dining and living rooms. What in god's name convinced me that "butter yellow" was actually any color other than off-white?
  2. Get a Brewers 10-pack. Season tickets are extravagant and for people who have lots and lots of time on their hands. 10 games a year is totally reasonable, methinks.
  3. Purchase an opera subscription. A subscription is to theater what season tickets are sports. Even if my local opera company did more than three operas a season like, say, San Francisco or London or something, I would still get the whole subscription. (Yes, I'm more devoted to the arts than I am to the Brewers, fuck off.)
  4. Get a gym membership. Yeah, I've lost you now. You were with me for the repainting. You were cheering me on for the baseball! But the opera? Nobody actually likes that anyway. And now the gym? Bare with me. Exercise helps you deal with stress. So when the baby's driving me up the wall, I can better deal (or at least look fabulous doing it). Plus, at a certain membership level, members are given two free hours per day to use the in-gym daycare. And I couldn't possibly lose my motivation to go to the gym because going to the gym will mean TWO BABYFREE HOURS. And that, my friends, is why I want a gym membership. Oh, and one more thing...
  5. An iPod.
Now you tell me your full pocketbook fantasies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, fun, ok!

1) Sunglasses that did not come from the gas station.
2) Strappy black sandals suitable for summer dress-up occassions.
3) Something to plant in all the large (empty) pots I have on my porch.
4) New laptop battery.
5) Shopping spree at the used book store.