Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Oh joy! It's soy!

I received a sample of a SoyJoy fruit & soy bar yesterday, and I was of course suspicious. As a rule, nutrition bars taste like dirt and contain about a gazillion calories. I was especially concerned after I opened the package - do you remember that Play-Doh gadget where you shoved the Play-Doh in a crevice and pushed down on the lever, and depending on which stencil frame (circle, square, star, etc.) you had chosen, you would then watch as your Play-Doh squeezed out a long circle, square, or star rope? Clearly, the people at SoyJoy chose the square stencil. Still, it was free and from the looks of the nutrition facts, actually healthy, so I tried it. I had the apple flavor. While I wouldn't characterize it as a flavor explosion or anything, it was surprisingly tasty. Even the baby liked it, which made me really happy because now I can picture myself confidently tossing a soy bar into his lunch bag in a few years and know that he'll eat it. And in the meantime, it'll be an easy take-along to the playground.

What's that? You want to try SoyJoy for yourself? You can! Click there and they'll send you three bars in a few weeks, and then you can feel smug while all your friends are deluding themselves into thinking Nutrigrain bars are anything other than convenient, chewable packets of high fructose corn syrup.

(Unfortunately for me, SoyJoy are not readily available in my area, and my only ordering option is drugstore.com, which requires me to buy $49 worth to qualify for free shipping. And while they're good, I'm not sure I'm prepared to spend $50 on soy just yet.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a store finder in the upper left on SOYJOY.com. You can get them at Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid just about anywhere.

the a is for annie said...

You must be looking at a different site or I'm completely blind. On the upper right there's a Where To Buy link, and that list doesn't feature any of the three drugstores you listed.

But maybe I'll check CVS or Walgreens next time I'm in there just for funsies.