Tuesday, April 10, 2007

2007 Webby Award Nominations!

I've been skimming the list of Webby nominees this afternoon. Some favorites represented: Slate, The Onion, Best Week Ever, and holy crap Last.fm! That one excites me so much because I accidentally stumbled upon it last year while googling "Stacked Crooked" (I never did find out what the hell the words are - Carl Newman, why do you vex me so?!), and it would totally be my #1 Internet Favorite Thing except that I met my husband online, so.

Scrolling through there are tons of sites I've never heard of because I am painfully out of touch. Among the things I hadn't seen before:

  • wefeelfine.org - I feel I should start beginning all my sentences with 'I feel' so I can become a part of online art. (Amy, if you haven't seen this already, I think you especially will enjoy.)
  • FactCheck.org - Because politicians say all kinds of things.
  • UGO.com - I made my own superhero with their Hero Machine. I named her Birdie because I couldn't think of anything else. Is she good or evil?
    She has four arms which I think would be useful for regular life in addition to super hero life. She also has a big stick for hitting things and for getting items off the top shelf in the closet.
Anyway, I'm still making my way through the nominees. Share your favorites in the comments section, and don't forget to vote!

3 comments:

Adam said...

You met me online too! Dork.

Matthew Perpetua said...

Stacked Crooked lyrics, taken from the Japanese edition of the album:

> I counted on my private Altamount, trusted it all along but now I'm
> on my way.
> We left the house, you're fingers in my mouth,
> Stacked crooked all along but now I'm on my way.
>
> The force that through the red light pulled the hours,
> I tried to imagine it, I couldn't imagine it.
> The vantage falling from the ivory tower,
> I tried to imagine it, I couldn't imagine it.
>
> You clipped and tossed your cryptic crossword locks, union
> abandoned talks,
> And now its hard to say why we would wait in smoke and mirror states,
> Stacked crooked all along but now I'm on my way.
>
> Do not, do not deny me, deny my last appeal.
> Do not, do not deny me, my Achilles heel.
> Do not, do not deny my attention to detail.
> Do not, do not deny me the clicking of clear heels.

the a is for annie said...

Wow, I was *way* off on many of those words, especially the last lines. Yikes.

Thank you!