Thursday, April 19, 2007

Why does my IP keep changing???

Ok, I generally dislike meta-blogging, but perhaps there's a reader out there who knows the answer to my question. As some of you know, I use StatCounter to track visits to my site (Hi Julia). These visits are tracked via your unique IP address (and there's nothing you can do about it).

Rest assured I don't do anything with this information besides count the number of readers I have and pat myself on the back for being so awesome. I don't even know what, if anything, I could do with the information if I wanted to. (It doesn't tell me your name or who you are or anything like that, so chill. It's just a unique IP address and your city/state, that's it. Unless you are the sole occupant of your city/state, you don't have to worry about being identified by me or anyone else.)

I block my own IP from the stats because I visit my site more than anyone, and I don't want it skewing my stats. However, recently this IP kept showing up, and I was all "Who is spending THAT much time on my blog? Seriously?" Well, it's... me. My IP address changed, or I have two, or something. I don't know how this works. Anyway, so I blocked the new IP. And then today...

ME AGAIN! New IP, but still ME. How is this even possible? It's one computer, one internet connection, one XP log-in. I have no idea what's going on, but it's annoying. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Adam said...

You ought to read the AT&T page...

"Dynamic IP Addresses - Every time you log on to the Internet, your computer is assigned a new, unique IP address, making it more difficult for hackers to find you."

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie,

Did you know that you can block your own visits using a cookie instead of blocking your IP address?

1. Login to your account
2. Click the "wrench" icon next to your project
3. Click the "create blocking cookie" link
4. Click the button to create a blocking cookie.

For more info go here:
http://www.statcounter.com/help/knowledge_base/Configuration.html

Hope this helps!

Jenni
StatCounter Team

the a is for annie said...

Wow, I love you, StatCounter person, and I'm so touched that you would take time out of your day to answer my inane question.

You're so much nicer and far more informative than Adam.