Thursday, April 26, 2007

I'm so tired of America

I've been thinking a lot lately about the lyrics of Rufus' new song "Going to a Town," and it's depressing the hell out of me. (Hear the song/see the video.) In it, Rufus expresses his disappointment over New Orleans,

I'm going to a town that has already been burnt down
I'm going to a place that has already been disgraced
I'm gonna see some folks who have already been let down
I'm so tired of America
frustration with the Iraq war ("You took advantage of a world that loved you well"), and the struggle for equal marriage rights
Making my own way home, ain't gonna be alone
I've got a life to lead, America
I've got a life to lead

Tell me, do you really think you go to hell for having loved?
It's just really got me down lately, especially yesterday after listening to some acquaintances mock gay pride and call pride parades "disgusting" ("They were throwing condoms everywhere!"). About an hour later, a woman I actually consider a friend was talking about how a local park isn't as nice as I thought it was because "certain... ethnic groups... aren't as clean as they should be."

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't take a stand against it. This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened in my adult life, and each time I defend my non-action with "I was too shocked to think of anything to say," which is in part true. But like I said, this isn't the first time, and I need to get over my shock. Thing is, I don't want to start an argument with anyone, but I would like to let these individuals know in no uncertain terms that I find that kind of speech offensive and hateful and hurtful and just plain wrong.

I'm really depressed, and I need some advice. Short of never hanging out with these women again, does anyone have anything?

2 comments:

Georgy said...

I bet you'd feel better if next time, you got over the shock and said something, or tried to debate with them. You can do that without getting into a fight -- that is, if they're willing to be civil, as well.

Anonymous said...

This happens to me a lot, and it took me a looong time to get more comfortable dealing with it. Typically now, I don't always try to debate it with the person, but I don't (usually) keep silent either. And when I do, I hate myself.

In the particular situation you describe, I probably would have said, "I can understand your concerns, but for me it is important to support freedom of expression. For everyone. In fact, I support gay pride. Can you pass the brownies?" I'd imagine the most you would have gotten from those women was a slightly stunned silence after such simple directness. Of course, I'm helping Pride Fest in StL with their advertising, soo... I'd probably have to say something like that.