Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Magic Flute on PBS















I don't know a lot about opera (I'm still learning), but last night on PBS, I caught the last hour of the Met's abridged, English version of The Magic Flute. It was produced by Julie Taymor, the same woman who did the Broadway version of The Lion King a few years ago. From what I saw, Mozart was clearly high when he wrote it, and I never did really grasp what the plot was, but once I was able to suspend my disbelief, I really really enjoyed it. It helped that it had a happy (if seemingly abrupt) ending. I will have to watch my local PBS listings (and you should too!) for a repeat so I can, you know, see the whole thing and maybe understand the plot a little better.

(Photo credits: Ken Howard/The Metropolitan Opera)

P.S. Those photos are really well arranged in my browser. I have no idea if they'll look as good in yours. If they don't, you can (a) tell me how to fix it so they do, or (b) deal.

No comments: