Thursday, January 25, 2007

Baby Envy

I knew this day would come eventually. Even in the last days of my pregnancy, waddling slowly down the halls at the office, fielding endless "You're still here?" and "I can't believe you haven't had that baby!" comments, I knew that despite my misery I would one day be nostalgic about the whole process - and now it's happened.

Damn, I want to be pregnant again. Notice I didn't say I wanted another baby - my one-year-old son is enough for now thankyouverymuch. But I really miss the excitement of pregnancy. The emails from babycenter, the fun cravings, the kicks and hiccups inside my belly, and yes, even the maternity clothes are re-entering my clearly deranged consciousness.

A friend of mine and fellow mommy to a one-year-old daughter just found out last night that she's pregnant with Baby #2, which of course isn't helping matters for me at all. I told her I shall be living vicariously through her for the next 8 months because despite what my heart thinks, my brain knows that pregnancy ends in a baby, and I am not ready for a second baby yet. For now, I'll just annoy her constantly with questions about her symptoms and her doctor's appointments in an attempt to distract myself until the time comes when I am actually ready for a second child.

No comments: