Wednesday, July 2, 2008

And that's another thing

As mentioned at the beginning of my previous post, before launching into a tirade of how I don't understand Rothko no matter how much I want to, or at least not that he can be understood from my "impression" alone, I mentioned that I also have to write about my "impressions" of the buildings of the Milwaukee Art Museum themselves.

My notes, as I crossed the footbridge into the Calatrava:

fresh air, lake breeze
brise soleil
bright white reflects well vs. dour square non organic form of veterans memorial


And I even hesitate to mention the fresh air and the lake breeze just because it's so STUPID when written down. I mean, do I think it was a coincidence that Calatrava designed this big open building that looks like it might just sail onto the lake or take off in flight and he never once noticed how refreshing the lake breeze is on a nice day? Of course that's part of it. Do I have a non-defensive way of communicating that in my paper? No, no, I don't.

No comments: